My husband found this on Facebook yesterday and we tried it out last night. It is a great quick and easy recipe that my kids loved.
1 1/4 pounds ground beef
1 (16 oz.) can refried beans
1 (4 oz.) can mild green chiles, diced
2 cups cooked rice
2 cups cheddar cheese, grated, or Mexican cheese blend
2 cups Fritos (or corn chips of your choice), divided
1 cup salsa
1/4 cup water
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
1 (1.25 oz.) package taco seasoning
kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown beef until cooked through and no longer pink.
- Drain fat, reserving 1 tablespoon, and saute onions until softened and translucent. 6-8 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper and add taco seasoning. Return beef to pan, then add salsa, chiles and water.
- Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in rice, cheddar cheese, and refried beans, and transfer mixture to a 9×13-inch baking dish.
- Top with 1 cup Fritos and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until cheese is melted and dish is warmed through.
- Remove from oven, top with remaining Fritos and serve hot.